1. Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a 6 cup ring mold.
2. Whip the butter until creamy and gradually add the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
3. Coat the currants well with ¼ cup of the flour to prevent their sinking in the cake. Set aside.
4. Whisk the remaining flour together with the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the cider. Fold in the currants and spoon into the prepared mold.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before inverting onto a rack. Use a knife to help separate the cake from the pan